Designing Your Dream Kitchen
Create your own personal culinary oasis
Designing your dream kitchen involves a great deal of thought, work and time, but once completed the reward will surely make up for the labor. Because it is a large undertaking, the planning and budgeting stages are among the most important - there are a number of factors to consider before you ever lift a paint brush or hammer a nail:
- Color - The first decision you should make, and probably one of the most important to the final outcome of your kitchen, is the color you choose. The wrong decision could turn your kitchen into a nightmare - mistakenly choose one color for your walls and a clashing color for your floors, and you won’t need to chop onions to shed tears! Focus on picking a color that makes you happy and will compliment the existing decor in your home. Once you have decided on a color scheme you’ll have the foundation for choosing the design and furniture for your kitchen - so take the time to make the right decision, and everything else will fall into place!
- Design - This is also an important decision in your kitchen remodeling project. Remember that your cabinets are permanent and the layout will probably not change for many years to come. Spend time deciding how you can most efficiently use the space in your kitchen, and design your room around your lifestyle and your needs. To get started, answer these questions:
- How many sinks do you want? You will need to determine your plumbing requirements.
- How much counter space will you need? This will affect the design for the rest of your room.
- What type of cabinets and counters do you want?
- What materials will you use in the cabinetry and countertop?
- Where will your appliances go?
- Do you want an island? If you do, what purpose will it serve?
Make sure you plan out every element of your kitchen including the dimensions and the spaces for the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher. Once your decisions have been made, you can easily move on to smaller decisions such as the furniture and accessories.
Furniture and Accessories - The final touches and the elements that will bring your room together will be the kitchen furniture and accessories. Kitchen tables, stools and chairs can integrate seamlessly into your decor or make a complementary statement on their own. Kitchen lighting fixtures must be placed in convenient and effective locations, and your appliances should balance well in your room. Don't overlook small items like tablecloths, cushions and centerpieces, as they will add personality to your room.
The most important thing to remember when designing your dream kitchen is to make it all about you. This is your space, so strive for an efficient workspace that reflects your personality and style!