Practical items for the wine enthusiast
Today there are wine racks available to suit any size collection, from the small stash of the occasional drinker to the vast cellar of those who entertain a large crowd every weekend. The styles are as varied as the size of the rack. From the most basic wood 18-bottle-holder, to a comprehensive storage system accommodating thousands of bottles, it’s easy to find a rack to suit the needs of any wine enthusiast.
There are several factors to take into consideration when choosing a wine rack:
- How often do you drink wine or entertain people who do?
- Do you keep the same number of bottles, or do you plan to grow your collection?
- Do you have a large space to place a permanent wine storage system, or do you need a mobile unit you can put away when not in use?
- What is the style of decor in your home – contemporary, Victorian, eclectic?
- How sturdy do you need your wine rack to be? Will it be used every day and moved about often, or will it sit stationary in a seldom-used area?
- What material would you prefer your wine storage be made of – metal, wood or plastic?
Once you have narrowed down some of your basic requirements for a wine rack, it’s time to take a look at the wide variety of styles available:
- Modular wine racks. These are individual units that can be put together to form a custom-sized, stackable wine storage system. Whether you choose a plastic, terra cotta or wood wine rack, stackables are a great choice if you plan to add to your wine collection over time.
- Wall mounted wine racks. Ideal for small spaces, wall wine racks typically hold several bottles, stored vertically, horizontally or at an angle. They can also be a cost-effective wine storage option, with basic models to fit the tightest budget. On the higher end of the price scale, intricately designed wrought iron wine racks lend a sophisticated touch while using minimal wall space.
- Freestanding table top wine racks. Metal wine racks often come in this style, and are suitable to the smallest space. Some are full-service wine centers featuring wine glass holders and drawers perfect for corkscrews.
- Hanging wine racks. Funky and unique, a hanging wine rack can fill that odd corner of the room that needs a special touch. Whether a classic look or eclectic coil design, these usually hang from the ceiling, becoming an instant conversation piece.
- Wine cabinets. The curios of wine storage, cabinets bring a distinguished, discreet element to wine storage. Available in a multitude of styles and finishes, cabinets can be coordinated to match your kitchen cabinets or any room.
- Wine carts. The ultimate in versatile space-saving storage, a cart can be moved from room to room and easily wheeled into a closet when not in use.
Whatever your wine storage needs, with a little effort you can find the perfect wine rack for your home.